After spending about a year on the Linen and Lace Tunic, I wanted something quick and easy to make. I found the Summertime Tee by Toni Lipsey on Ravelry; I purchased it there. It’s also available for free on her blog TL Yarn Crafts. I was able to complete this project in two weeks! It was that quick and easy. And I’m slow, so others could probably make it much faster.
A few years ago, at the Pittsburgh Creative Arts Festival Day 1, I picked up a pattern for a tunic, Linen and Lace by Crochet Mon Cherie. I had purchased the pattern and the thread, Linas Linen in Grey, (I can’t find any current resources for Linas Linen, so I don’t think it’s available anymore). Two years ago, I picked up the pattern with the intention of creating the tunic, well, I got stuck on the pattern. I had a difficult time with the motif and I couldn’t quite figure out what I was supposed to do on Round 5. So I put it down.
In April I will be going on a knitting trip to Scotland and England with Rowan Tree Travel with a group from my LYS Kid Ewe Knot. Since it will be spring, I decided to make a light beanie to bring along. I settled on this Paton pattern called Swirl Hat on Yarnspirations.
I got these cute Wellies for Christmas and I decide I needed to make some boot cuffs to go with them. I started with a pattern, but I didn’t like the way it was coming out, so I made up my own pattern.
OK, This is a little late. First Halloween was postponed till the Saturday after Halloween due to weather. Then I just didn’t get around to writing about it as I put away all the Halloween decorations and winterized the yard.
Here’s my Winifred Sanderson Costume. Let’s beak it down:
- The Wig – highly recommend
- Buck teeth
- Purple Dress
- Green stripped stockings
- Awesome witch shoes (and comfortable too)
- Green velvet robe
- Snake Robe Clasp
- Witch symbol Stamps
- Snake Stamp
- Green 25 Yard skirt
- Crochet Corset
- The necklace
OK, that’s a lot to wear. I started with the purple dress and wore the Green 25 yard skirt over top of it. I pinned up both skirts because I wanted to show off my stockings and shoes and I also didn’t want to trip.
Next I added the corset that I made. The pattern was from Etsy. Pretty easy to follow, I didn’t have any issues with this pattern.
The robe I tried to embellish using stamps and gold then yellow ink, but it came out very faded. You can see them if you look at it close, but they are not noticeable otherwise.
I love these witch shoes. Love, love, love them!
The snake clasp came all the way from Australia.
Additional accessories induced the buck teeth, long annoying press on nails, and a black mesh sleeve.
I made the necklace out of gold wire and beads.
Finally, putting it all together now.
If I were to do it again, I’d try to modify the robe more, make it more fitting and perhaps fix the stamps. I also tripped on that thing all night, so maybe it should be hemmed a little.
This year’s Halloween theme is Hocus Pocus. Since they closed our office and we are all working from home, I decided to decorate my house instead. I already shared the Billy Butcherson that I made and Booook.
I divided the front yard into three areas, the Devil’s house, the graveyard, and Sanderson Cottage.
Starting with the devil’s house I took my skeleton and dressed him up like a devil. Then I added the pitchforks, little white picket fence and flames. I gave him a candy bucket with Clark Cups (they don’t make Clark Bars anymore).
Next comes the graveyard. I bought a bunch of headstones and used cobwebs all around. I have my garden skeleton that comes out of the ground. I have my Billy Butcherson and his tombstone that I bought on Spirit Halloween online. There are some dollar store graveyard fences. I also made a skull pyramid with Styrofoam skulls.
The front porch was decorated like the Sanderson cottage. Some of the stuff I just had as witchy decorations, other things I bought specific for Hocus Pocus (the doormat, the museum sign, etc.). I painted some signs with slats of wood from our wood pile. I made a skeleton in a cage using an idea I got from this pin. More Hocus Pocus pins and ideas are available on my Hocus Pocus board.
I found the giant cauldron at Party City. I filled it with tulle and some LED green mini lights. This makes the cauldron glow green in the dark, without the risk of fire. I have a fog machine I’ll use on Halloween night, but I looked at various ways to make the cauldron smoke and thought, hmm, I don’t want my house to burn down.
Next post will be my costume as Winifred Sanderson. That will probably come next weekend, after Halloween.
Before I created the Quick and Easy Cat Bed, I had started on my own cat cocoon. I bought this super soft yarn (Bernat Velvet) and I searched Pinterest for some ideas, but nothing seemed to work with the yarn I already picked out, so I created my own design.
It didn’t quite come out the way I envisioned. I used some metal floral arranging hoops that I hoped would give it some form, but not really. If I were to make it all over again, I would probably just make a sac with no support. Well Tabitha loved to curl up in it while I was making it.
And after spraying a little cat nip in it, Pumpkin and Oliver fought over it. Pumpkin won.
I also tied a little ball inside for a toy to play with:
I guess they can’t all be winners. Sometimes things don’t turn out the way we think they will, but I think the cats will probably still use it to snuggle in.