My next prop for Halloween is Billy Butcherson.
After Halloween last year I picked up some styrofoam body parts on clearance, a skull and a torso.
I started off the project by covering the styrofoam in a sealer. I picked one up at one of the craft stores, but don’t remember which one. They are usually in the same location as the styrofoam.
After sealing the styrofoam, I started to use my model clay to make a nose and lips for the skull. I’m not an artist, but I’m pretty happy with that nose.
Now comes lots of painting. The torso wasn’t so bad, the face had many, many layers of paint. Plus adding eye balls and eyelids (clay).
I finally smoothed our the face with some watered down paint and Hodge Podge. Oh and seeing the lips closed too! I purposefully had his lips protrude out some so I could see through them.
The final step after all the painting was to spray paint the torso and head with polyurethane to help water proof his paint.
I inserted some wooden skewers in the torso and attached the head. The wig is actually an Edward Scissorhands wig. I used a black drape for his coat. A spooky cloth for his ascot thing. And some zombie hand stakes for his hands. I also inserted a sturdy garden stake into the ground and pushed his torso on over top it to stake him into the ground.
I think I’m pretty proud of him.
Halloween is right around the corner! So it’s time to start with props. I started with a prop of Book from Hocus Pocus. I used the following blog post from 102 Wicked Things to Do as a launching point to create my book. I found it on Pinterest.
This year’s Halloween theme was One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. I already posted about my PA System prop and my Nurse Ratched Wig. So for our office Halloween party, I prepared my One Flew Over the Cuckoos Next scene.
I was at Walmart this morning, and I saw these cute little ghosts. I said to my husband, “Wouldn’t they be cute hanging from our tree?” And he said, “You could make that.” The original ghost was $3.98 each. I went back to the craft section and picked up some plain white cotton fabric, some Styrofoam balls, and some pipe cleaners. Total cost = $7.00 and enough materials to make 6 ghosts, but I could have bought one less pack of cloth ($6.00 total).
Halloween for me is almost like a cosplay. Last year I did Bride of Frankenstein. This year I’m doing One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest. I’ve completed my props and I kept them simple this year. I made the PA system, a sliding glass window to dispense the medication, and a padded wall. And my costume is a bit of a Cosplay of Nurse Ratched.
About a month ago, Shaina E on The Crochet Addiction Facebook group posted a photo of a spider web shawl/poncho that she designed and free-handed. I thought it was so clever, and I thought I could probably recreate it.
This would be the first time I ever tried to recreate something by a picture. I did recreate her design, and I think mine came out pretty close to hers. She said she just used all treble crochet (tr) and chains, but I had my stitches grow from double crochet (dc) to quadruple treble crochet (qtc). I may have made that last stitch up. I haven’t seen anything written about that one, but I imagine it’s out there somewhere.
My Halloween theme this year was Bride of Frankenstein. I’ve been working on this theme all year, so it was great to see it finally come to life. Many of my props I’ve been posting over the past week, but there were plenty of decorations as well like the Mad Scientist Lab Combo and the Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein wall decals.
My costume I made following the Little Miss Monstrous Costume pin on Pinterest and I also tried another pin to erase my eyebrows. I’m not great at makeup, but overall I think my makeup came out pretty decent. Also, my friend did the eyebrows because I knew I would mess those up.
For the costume, I followed the directions for the drape and arm wraps. The wig, I crocheted. I also made some gloves to cover my hands as well. If I were to do it all over again, I would not have used ace bandages for the arms wraps. They were not comfortable and kept slipping all day. I think I’d probably just make wraps from rags. Perhaps using a cheap bed sheet? But I do love the final costume. This pin has also been re-pined from my board probably at least a hundred times by now. I hope there were a lot of Brides of Frankenstein out there this year. And yes, this costume is much better and more authentic than the one I saw at Target.
So, my cubicle won 1st place at work and my costume won 3rd place. I’m very happy with my results. And I have at least two more Halloween ideas in my head to keep me going for the next couple of years, although it would be pretty difficult (and expensive) to top this one.
Hanging out w/ Mr Bones
Jello brain mold with peppermint brain chocolate pops
Frankie’s my guy
Frankenstein’s Lab final set up
The paper mache wheel
The Jacob’s ladder electrical prop thingy
Bride of Frankenstein and Frankenstein
Frankenstein’s journal and keys
You can see the stitches from this angle
Frankenstein’s Lab bench
Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein pops
Knit brain w/ brain pops
Cool prop bought on Etsy
Frankenstein’s Lab bench
Rat w/ glowing eyes
Frankenstein’s Castle, this way
Hanging w/ Mr Bones some more
Body on the table
Making the bandages gloves
Brain in a jar
Making the bandages gloves