Over three years ago, I had a New Year’s resolution to start this project and I had a follow up post with some progress. But once this monster got big, it mostly stayed in the project bag, because it was too heavy and hot to take out and work on. This winter I decided I was going to finally finish it, then as I was working on it I realized some of the yarns had been discontinued, so the fire was really on my butt to get this done. Here it is, 3 years and 3 months later, the giant Tauntaun blanket that I made for my husband.
This blanket was inspired by the Tauntaun sleeping bag. My original sketches had legs instead of a sack and I thought of lining it and adding a zipper, but in the end I stuck with simplicity. There is no pattern for this, I cobbled together the hood, the body, and horn as well as some modifications. The rest is pretty much free hand outside of the inspirations of the patterns. The body is all hdc, the arms are dc. This thing is heavy and warm.
The cats love this blanket. Any time I was working on it, they would lay on it.
The entire thing cost about $400 in suplies:
Yarn Bee Snuggle Up White, 7 skeins
Yarn Bee Snuggle Up Silver Fox, 18 skeins
Yarn Bee Snuggle Up Silver, 26 skeins
Knitpicks Clarity Comfy Worsted,12 skeins
Knitpicks Light Blue Comfy Worsted, 40 skeins
And as much as I was afraid of running out of yarn, I ended up with a ton left over.
He’s still with us, although not integrated with the other cats. He really doesn’t like them.
You must be logged in to post a comment.